Monday 3 June 2013

White Water Rafting

So the last few weekends have been pretty exciting for me, went to my first Horse Racing Event and had my fair share of outdoor activities! I had another day out to Go Ape, which I have done before but its just as fun the third time round and then the weekend just gone I got a bit wet doing White Water Rafting in Wales, something I haven't done before.
 
 
It was really really good and would definitely be doing it again and would urge you to have a go too!
So we met up in some Welsh valley, in a random car park put on the wetsuits, picked up the boats and carried them down to the river! We were in the water for a good hour or two and had a few crazy rapid sections along with some nice flat sections where you could just float down and play some activities! Too make it more fun too they made everyone in the boat row towards the rapids back upstream so they could try and surf the falls and fill the boat with water! (there were holes to empty it)
 



 
 
We had all the scary instructions about what to do if you fall out, and watching for rocks and different positions in the boat etc etc which was a bit daunting but it was pretty safe! Though there was one rapids we attempted to return to and the boat spun round so that side of the boat was at the waterfall edge - my side. And then the boat tipped and 4 of the 5 people on the boat ended up in the water! I went straight in and under the boat trying to pop up twice but was stopped by the bottom of the boat! I then just let myself float down a bit and popped up on the other side and had to swim back to shore paddle in hand! I also came across two other paddles that people dropped after they fell in! Trying to swim with three paddles was fun...
 
 
But I survived and so did my jolly ol' crew!
 
It was a really good experience and want to do it again!!!! Going down a nice wide river, in the Welsh Mountains, through Llangollen was just amazing :)



 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you and your group had a blast! What state are the Welsh Mountains located in? I go on a family whitewater rafting every year and have been looking for a new place to go. Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been on many water rafting trips, so I am no expert, but the rivers are pretty big, there is a lot of rafting done up near Bala. There is a National White Water Rafting centre there so I am presuming its pretty awesome! The guide who was on our boat said they had a good route up there. The route we did which was through Llangollen has only recently been opened up and they were just getting used to the course but said they were very pleased with it.

      Delete
    2. Oh and I did this in Wales, United Kingdom

      Delete